Life hacks are supposed to live up to their names and make your life easier, right? Not so.
Life hacks can have dire consequences! Just ask the following people who were brave enough to share what happened to them after listening to old wives' tales.
Not so much a "life hack" as a really shitty home remedy, but about 15 years ago, I had gallstones really bad. I found some home remedy that said drinking a whole cup of olive oil straight up would grease them enough to make them pass right through with a little pop. I tried it, wishing for anything to ease the pain. 30 seconds later I puked to the point of dry-heaving. Now I had gall stone pain and sore ribs, abs, and lower back. And my mouth tasted like I'd just puked a bucket of piss. I just went and laid down and cried. Edit: The sad irony is, it wasn't even gallstones that was causing the pain after all that ordeal. I later found out that it was an ulcer. I had that H. Pylori shit in my stomach really bad and was eventually hospitalized when the wall of my stomach ripped right open getting out of bed one day. On the plus side, the trip to the hospital revealed the true cause of the pain, and within a day or so it was all fixed up.
Way back when I worked in a snack shack. At close I had to empty and clean out the deep frier, which was always slow to cool down. Genius that I am, I dumped a whole bucket of ice cubes to speed up the process. The grease started bubbling immediately. Then the deep frier exploded as piping hot grease shot straight up to the ceiling and spilled out all over the shack. The eruption continued for several minutes, eventually coating the entire counter, floor and almost every other surface. I was lucky to escape with only minor burns to my arms and legs. My supervisor returned to the shack just moments after the explosion began to subside. He asked what happened, and I played dumb. So he shrugged his shoulders and said "Clean it up" as he left for the night. I commenced to squeegee all that grease into buckets and deposit it into the grease dumpster. Took me hours. I reeked liked French fries for about a week afterward. 10/10 would deep geyser again.
I tried to make my own fleshlight when I was younger by using Body Wash and a pillow folded up. The Body Wash had tons of those mini hard cleaning beads... never again. Resulted in pain, a messy pillow, and had to shower again in my shame. I also cut a hole in a watermelon to have sex with it. It was cold and unpleasant. Had to throw the whole thing out. My father later asked me what happened to the watermelon, I didn't respond.
I tried opening a beer bottle with my belt buckle. I was at a restaurant with a group of friends and I was too lazy to take the whole belt off so I just unfastened it. I lowered the beer to my buckle and popped off the cap successfully... triggering this massive beer explosion under the table. No one actually saw me lower the bottle so all they saw was this explosion of foam shooting out from my crotch and all over my torso... also it turned out to be a twist-off.
I wanted lighter hair for summer and used lemons for it when I was 13 about 7 years ago. Bad move. Hair was dry.
Staying on the hair theme, I put banana in my hair because seventeen magazine said it would leave it 'soft and silky' when I was 15. Well, guess franking what? It was impossible to wash out and I had to pick banana clumps out of my quacking hair for flipping three weeks. I had rotten banana in my hair!!!
Redditors, what is the worst "life hack" you have ever tried and have you ever tried one with terrible consequences?
When I was a teenager I got impetigo. My mum read on some messageboard that you could get rid of it by scrubbing your face using vinegar. I tried to argue against it but she wouldn't listen and insisted on scrubbing the scabs away with this really rough flannel soaked in vinegar. THE BURNING WAS LIKE NOTHING I HAVE EXPERIENCED. Imagine somebody rubbing VINEGAR into an open wound?!?! I went to the doctors the next day and she proudly told them that she had tried 'the vinegar thing' and they looked at her with a look of horror and were like "yea...that's not something we would advise..."
Tried that one that says "putting tea bags on your eyes depuffs them!" when I was about 13. However they did not specify black tea, so my dumbass uses an apple cinnamon tea. Cinnamon is a minor irritant so I had red tea-bag shaped rectangles around my eyes for a few hours.
My ex heard that there was pheromones in piss that would attract females. He decided that more was better. He collected his piss for a few weeks and then decided to boil it down to a concentrate that he could use to pick up chicks. His parents weren't home so he got boiling. He boiled piss ALL DAY. He didn't open any windows or turn on any fans. I'm not really sure how but the entire inside of the house was covered in stinky piss steam. Almost totalled off the house according to his dad. They had to redo the walls and the flooring.
Heard via radio show that you can use bleach when you hand-wash dishes to make them cleaner. Read the back of my dish soap. Didn't see any warnings, so I dumped a capful of bleach in my soapy dish water. The smell was awful and I started getting light-headed. Unplugged the sink, vented the apartment and went outside for a while. Found out later that I had made chlorine gas. Looked up what went wrong. Turns out there's a big difference between adding bleach to dish water and rinsing dishes with bleach water.
I did a DIY gelatin peel-off mask. It was supposed to be like a giant Biore strip. Ow, my skin hurts just writing this. But it didn't peel off, I think I left it on too long and it just ripped off like the first two layers of skin. My face was bleeding/scabby for days after.